Fibromyalgia Treatment FAQs in Chesapeake, VA
If you're suffering from the many chronic discomforts associated with fibromyalgia, you may find your state of health as puzzling as it is debilitating. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about fibromyalgia -- and its management -- at Atlantic Chiropractic and Rehabilitation.
- What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a syndrome, or series of related symptoms, that causes a variety of unpleasant and even debilitating symptoms throughout the musculoskeletal system. Typical symptoms include muscular aches and pains, fatigue, insomnia, difficulty concentrating, headaches, and digestive symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome.
- What causes my fibromyalgia symptoms? Fibromyalgia is connected with abnormal levels of two chemicals called Substance P and serotonin. This imbalance makes you unusually sensitive to pain signals, causing every little discomfort to be amplified to debilitating levels.
- Why do I have fibromyalgia? No one is quite sure why some people get fibromyalgia and others don't, but it appears to have a genetic component that causes it to run in families. Infections, acute injuries or emotional trauma may trigger its onset in vulnerable individuals. Interestingly, many fibromyalgia sufferers also show signs of spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the bony space that encloses the spinal cord.
- Is there a cure for fibromyalgia? Currently there is no outright cure for fibromyalgia. As with other chronic pain issues, fibromyalgia treatment focuses on managing the symptoms and optimizing your quality of life.
- How do I know I have fibromyalgia? Doctors generally won't give you an official diagnosis of fibromyalgia until/unless you display 11 out of 18 specific tender points throughout the body for a period of at least 3 months. This can cause an agonizing delay before the doctor can actually offer medical treatment. Fortunately, our Chesapeake chiropractor, Dr. Santjer, doesn't have to accommodate such a delay before treating your symptoms.
- How can chiropractic care help me manage my fibromyalgia symptoms? Chiropractic adjustments normalize joint motion and spinal alignment to relieve musculoskeletal stresses -- and addressing any circumstances that might produce pain signals can prove most welcome for hypersensitive nervous systems. Spinal adjustments can also help normalize nerve signaling by treating the nerve compression caused by spinal stenosis, which in turn may lessen biochemical imbalances in the body.
- What other natural treatment methods are good for controlling fibromyalgia? In addition to chiropractic adjustment, our chiropractor may prescribe massage therapy to support healthy muscles, reduce brain fog, relieve headaches and improve sleep quality. Stretching exercises can also help by stimulating natural painkillers called endorphins. We can even provide nutritional counseling you help you select anti-inflammatory foods for your daily menu.
Get More Answers at Our Chesapeake Clinic
Now that you have some answers about fibromyalgia and its treatment, discover the solutions that can get you enjoying life again by scheduling a consultation at Atlantic Chiropractic and Rehabilitation. Call (757) 547-4325 today to set up an appointment so we can talk about getting your symptoms under control!